Sunday 17 February 2013

Brown Sugar Oatmeal Squares

One of my favourite after school snacks from childhood were these soft, buttery, sugary oatmeal squares.... I have the recipe my mom used - but I failed time and again to recreate it. It just didn't work, the squares just crumbled into bits.  Delicious, rich, buttery-sugar bits - but not what I was going for.  Finally, after adding a couple of twists to the original, I just might have satisfied my 20 year old craving.  I might have to make a second batch just to be sure...



Brown Sugar Oatmeal Squares

3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
2 cups rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter in a small saucepan on low heat.
Combine brown sugar, oats, baking powder, and flour.
Pour melted butter into oat mixture.  Add vanilla and egg.
Mix well and pat into a greased 8x8 inch pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until centre is firm.


No comments:

Post a Comment