Sunday 14 April 2013

Darlena's Banana Bread

Okay, so I had every intention of trying this new banana bread recipe given to me by a friend.   Every intention. The recipe was translated into English for me, so the measurements were in grams, but I thought, no big deal, I will just google it.  Well, as it turns out, it really isn't that simple.   I don't have a scale, so I have no idea how much flour 200g is!  


I was really looking forward to this recipe, because it was interesting.  The instructions were to basically cook the mashed banana with sugar and butter (and something called packets of vanilla sugar?). 

After googling, sighing, and more sighing, I decided to use the base of a recipe I have tried before, but to simmer the banana with butter and sugar as directed. 


It turned out well actually, although a little crumbly ( I was thinking 3 tsp of baking powder was a bit on the high side).  Maybe next time I will substitute the baking powder for 1 tsp of baking soda and see if that works better, and change the white sugar to 3/4 cup brown sugar.



Darlena's Banana Bread

4-5 well-ripe bananas  (I used 3 large)
2 cups all purpose flour

3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs

Cut bananas into pieces and put in a saucepan on medium heat along with butter and sugar.  Let it simmer for about ten minutes. When the liquid boils you will get similar to jam mixture, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

Mix the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder and salt.
In the chilled banana mixture add the eggs, stir gently and add the dry ingredients. 

Stir gently again by hand, and pour the mixture into a greased loaf pan sprinkled with flour.Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, until toothpick or cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.




No comments:

Post a Comment